Monday, November 28, 2011

M*A*S*H* Memories

Once again, yesterday and today have melded together in such a way that I thought I'd already posted. What's up with that?

I'm writing this while watching M*A*S*H*, somewhere around first or second season. Frank Burns is trying to burn books in preparation for Gen. MacArthur's visit to the 4077th. My husband and I constantly bicker about the relative merits of the film vs. the sitcom. The film counts up in my top 10, but I also appreciate the sitcom, especially in the earlier seasons, before it became too silly.

This reminds me that last year, my husband and I drove to Rochester to see M*A*S*H at the Dryden Theatre, a fundraising event hosted by Elliott Gould (who was clearly phoning it in for the Rochester Jewish Community Center). It was great fun watching it with a hep audience. Mr. Gould sat just a few seats behind us up in the balcony.

Oh, and when I was an undergrad, Larry Linville was on the college circuit and came to speak with his reels of favorite moments and scenes from the show. That was a treat. He was such a warm, genuine guy, and talked about how he played Frank Burns as a guy to be pitied as well as laughed at. I didn't go looking for his autograph, though I wish now that I had.


No comments: