Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Smack upside the head

I've spent a lot of time over the last 3-4 days feeling bad about certain aspects of my situation. Then yesterday I ran into my neighbor across the breezeway who we've been friends with for the 6.5 years we've lived here. Turns out he's being evicted, and they didn't even give him 30 days. At the moment, as I sit here in my home atelier, I can hear and see the bustle of the work crew helping him move boxes and mucking out his apartment. To be honest, the guy has had a hard life, he's been on disability and public assistance, and he's estranged from his wife who lives down south. He's going to end up in a shelter because he couldn't find a place to live that was in his price range and that isn't a ghetto. He's a smart, well-spoken, educated man, and this is what's happened to him.

A painful reminder that someone always has it worse than you. Om mani padme hum.

No comments: