Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Spring Has Sprung

Of course, here in Rochester, we expect our extra winter days in spring, but still things have been greening up rather nicely. Although I had to bring my potted tomato plantlets in because we have a frost warning tonight. Which, if I'm honest, just ticks me off. I mean, really, May 17 frost? Dude.

Some good things are afoot, though, including a new job as a staff writer at the Catholic Courier, getting Korea DreamBus into the next phase (only took me 13 years), and a short story being published next month. One might say my late-blooming bloom is starting to, well, bloom. I'm still not sure what's going on with my short film Dream House, as my DP had to back out and I'm still trying to work out equipment for a shoot in June. If it doesn't happen then, I'll have to reschedule. 

Tonight I got to see one of my favorite musical acts play again, the tremendous Old Blind Dogs. What a way to celebrate! I love these guys. I also reconnected with an old friend while at the show, and we agreed that we would start playing fiddle together. Since my musical friends moved away last summer, I haven't played much. I prefer to play with someone than by mine own self (one of the few times I'd rather not be alone!).

Old Blind Dogs at Lovin' Cup, Rochester NY 5/17/23

These creative outlets are finally finding their proper place in my life. And speaking of which, I've been learning T'ai Chi sword 32 form, and it's pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever done, I think. I'm still in the phase of just learning the moves and trying not to fall over with all the one-footed stances. Ultimately, I hope to be able to add my own expression to the form. I firmly believe that all martial arts are about self-expression, as the mighty Bruce Lee said. Sadly, after an experience of an upset parent at my school when I taught a class of T'ai Chi Yang style for PE class, I know that not everyone appreciates martial arts. For my money, the focus, balance, self-awareness, and mind/body connection cannot be beat. I'm sure every athlete could say that about his or her sport. But I watched jock students struggle with balance and the left/right shifting of weight, and it was apparent to me that the awareness of our bodies in space is something we sorely lack in the West.

As we approach the end of the school year, I'm striving to take everything in and enjoy it. It's a crazy busy time with added joys such as Ascension Thursday (tomorrow!), special presentations and events, a spring concert, and a 7th grade trip to Boston (which I'm pretty much planning) the week before finals start. I'm praying for the grace to be present, as always, and to be fully alive in the moment where Christ is, where we can all meet each other in a unique way that will never be repeated. 

Here's to blooming!

No comments: