Saturday, December 30, 2023

Time to move on

It's time to round up 2023 and cast a gleaming eye toward 2024.  

Quickly, because it's cold, and I have to go find a cup of hot tea in the kitchen to warm up:

  • published my short story "Vinny and Luca" in the June issue of Lake Effect Magazine. This was my first short story publication, and it's one of the stories I've written as part of a collection.
  • shot my short film "Dream House" in October after one postponement and a reschedule. We had an amazing cast and crew, a beautiful location, and a lot of generous help. The footage is now with an editor who hopes to have a rough cut in the next few days.
  • started as a journalist for our diocesan Catholic paper, writing features and briefs on the happenings and people in the county.
  • learned how to create video content for Instagram.
  • learned T'ai Chi Yang style 32-move sword form
  • started with a new spiritual director (who was then reassigned to someplace far away and with a far busier schedule... this seems to be the way of things for spiritual directors and me).
  • completed two screenplays that had been needing a final draft and closure
  • started two new screenplays 
  • started a new short story in collection mentioned above
  • started pre-production in earnest for my documentary on Catholicism in Korea
  • successfully pitched a film club to my former school employer
  • made the itinerary and chaperoned for a class trip of nine 7th graders to Boston in the spring
  • directed a middle school play I adapted from The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • student loans forgiven!! (thanks, Joe, but I'm still not voting for you)

Here's what I'm looking forward to in 2024:

  • shifting all my professional eggs into the writing/media basket
  • finishing "Dream House" and getting it into festivals (and winning something, I hope!)
  • moving ahead on the Korea doco.
  • building up the nest-egg that wasn't so large to begin with and which was decimated by car repairs, physical therapy, new glasses, and the cost of making an indie film
  • more little video projects/content
  • learning Premiere
  • teaching T'ai Chi as assistant instructor at the Y with my teacher
  • singing in the Cathedral Polyphony and Chant Choir
  • facilitating a middle school film club
  • more stories for the short story collection (maybe even finish it!)
  • being able to stand up more readily and calmly to bullies and other people without an ounce of self-awareness 
  • more beach time 
  • definitely more kayaking this summer!!

We'll just have to stay tuned to find out how 2024 amazes and thrills. All of this is of course very personal. I'm not commenting on world events or an upcoming U.S. election. Let's just put all of those things in "the world is on fire" need for prayer (quoting St. Teresa of Avila).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

at my BFF's house, Christmas 2023

1 comment: