Tuesday, November 17, 2015

On Beating the Winter Blues (or, how not to be a cranky pants from November through March)

I really dislike winter. Well, to be more accurate, I dislike the long, cold, damp of winter in the Northeast. Specifically, in Western New York. Winter in Salt Lake was cold but dry, so it was tolerable. Winter here - and the scary thing is we haven't even begun, really, with all these warm temps in the 50s and 60s - is going be a bear.

Since I can't change the weather, I need to change my 'tude. I also need to recognize that I can take better care of myself in winter. Maybe you have similar problems with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) aka "the winter blues." Of course, exercise is one key way of being healthier in winter, but for many of us, it's not enough.

Here are some ways to make the best of things this winter:
  1. Find beautiful places to go for a walk. Maybe it's close by your home, maybe you have to drive to get there. But seeing the beauty in wintry nature on a sunny (if cold) day will do much to lift your spirits.
  2. Take soothing hot or warm baths more often. Indulge in aromatherapy - I'm a fan of Dr. Teal's Lavender Bath Salts (epsom salts), but there are also other scents by that brand. They are inexpensive and found at most grocery stores. You can also use essential oils to drive out aches and pains, awaken your senses, or relax just before bed. Most local shops and farmers markets sport someone making oils, scrubs, and bath salts. I can recommend Hill Woman, if you don't mind ordering over the phone. 
  3. Get outside for 15 - 20 minutes between 11:00 and 1:00 every day with no sunglasses on - even if it's overcast. Sunlight hitting your optic nerve will help your body make Vitamin D, the depletion of which contributes to SAD.
  4. Speaking of Vitamin D, consider taking a supplement during the winter months. My nephew introduced this to me, and it made a world of difference those last two winters I spent in Ithaca where the sun don't shine. Please consult your doctor before adding any supplements to your diet.
  5. Drink warm or hot water instead of cold. If you find it odd to drink plain hot water, drop a little honey in there.
  6. Stay engaged if you're indoors a lot - don't just binge watch Netflix. Reading, of course, but also consider board games with friends or family, doing crosswords, sudoku, word searches. Coloring books for grown ups are a thing now, and I admit that I absolutely love it. 
  7. Journal or start a blog. Winter is a time of turning inward, in a positive way, not an isolating way, a time of "going deep" into the roots of your spirit. Explore and share your insights if you feel it's appropriate to do so. Or, start writing about something you are interested in or like to do, as a way of documenting and sharing. For example, if you love gardening, write about gardening throughout the winter - your plans for the next growing season, etc. 
  8. Start a winter book club so that you are both reading and being social. Meetings can be festive and low-stress with potlucks or light treats.
  9. Keep warm! Duh, I know, but seriously, being cold on a regular basis is enough to make me very, very cranky (just ask my ex-husband).
    • Layering - begin with an undershirt or cami, or try CuddlDuds under your clothes. Keep your neck warm with a silk scarf when you're indoors (unless you keep your house at a million degrees in winter - most people can't afford to do that).
    • Wool, wool blends or alpaca socks, sweaters, hats, leg warmers, mittens, etc. I always shied away from wool things because I'm allergic, but I've discovered that wool blends are doable. What a difference wool blend socks make! I haven't tried alpaca, yet, but I hear that it is generally tolerable for folks who are allergic to wool. If you have poor circulation in your extremities, invest in some leg warmers and fingerless gloves for inside the home.
    • It doesn't matter how ridiculous you look; get a serious hat for serious cold.
      If it's good enough for Joel Fleischman in Cicely, Alaska,
      it's good enough for me.
Stay healthy with AirBorne and odorless garlic tablets this winter, and don't forget to play in the snow!

No comments: