Saturday, February 22, 2020

How did I get here?

So many months have passed since I took to this blog. Here's a sweeping update:

  • started new job at the new parish in a new town
  • moved into a sweet studio with a giant back yard, functional if small kitchen, attached garage, lovely neighbors/landlords
  • finished revised draft of Black Doves; it's with the publisher now. Hoping for publication this year.
  • finished short story "Working Man" 
  • started writing other short stories that will be collected together in a self-published work at some point in the future


Sadly, I must also report that my brother Patrick was diagnosed with stage III stomach cancer just before Christmas. I am asking the Lord to open doors for me to move there -- yes even though I just moved here. It's time to go home. I need my family, and my family needs me. I've already blown through all my PTO and I don't have the money to keep schlepping back to the South Shore on long weekends. By the way, my new profile pic is of him and me, c. 1990. 

He is half-way through chemo now, radiation to follow, and then evaluation for surgery. His spirits are good, he's eating better, and he is making some music again. He had lost unbelievable amounts of weight last year - when he finally got himself to the hospital, he was 136 lbs. He's been on a feeding tube for a couple of months now and is eating better. He has gained about 10 lbs but needs to keep gaining weight. It's a tough ride, but he has great doctors (Dana Farber), a good support network, and the love of his family. 

For myself, I feel like I'm living in two worlds, almost. I am over working for parishes in transition. From now on, if I get a job in a parish, it needs to be one that is stable with no nonsense going on or transitions to merged parishes with new priests. So while I'm dealing with all of that, plus my actual job, plus stuff that rolls down hill and stops at my feet, I really just want to be with my family.

But as always, I pray for complete surrender to God's will, which is perfect in all things. In so doing, my relationship with The Blessed Mother has lit the way. I will be making my Marian Consecration on March 25th (The Feast of the Annunciation) and I am very clear that the timing of this isn't accidental. I am grateful for the blessings our Mother has set aside for my family and me, not the least of which is a more perfect love for Jesus. 

Well so there's the update. There are things to write about that really don't matter to anyone else, or that I don't want to share on a public forum, really, so that's why I'm not updating this very often. I keep a personal journal and right now that's what I need to do, but I will use this blog to track my writing progress and update on my brother for those who are interested.

God bless you, and have a blessed Lent.

No comments: