Thursday, October 9, 2014

St. Therese and St. Francis

It's late (for me), and I'm tired, but I wanted to jot a few thoughts down.

On Oct. 1 we celebrated St. Therese, and three days later on the fourth, we celebrated St. Francis. I sometimes wonder if I'm called to Franciscan spirituality. Is there such a thing as a Franciscan/Carmelite hybrid community? If there is one, please sign me up.

Here in Utah, and at my job at the cemetery, I am surrounded by God's beautiful creation. I constantly hear Him calling me to "come outside and play (or pray)!" This has been the case since I was a child scampering in the trees and dashing through puddles in our yard on the South Shore. These days, I am quite literally living the vow of "Lady Poverty" I took 2 years ago (as well as obedience to God's will, and a celibate life of inclusive love). I live for daily Mass, for spending just a few moments with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament every morning. Honestly, I couldn't get through my days without Him. St. Clare was extremely devoted to the Eucharist, and Adoration is a part of the Poor Clare charism... it does make me think and wonder, because all of this is very Franciscan, you see.

This past Saturday, on St. Francis' feast day, I was standing at the front door talking with a neighbor friend, and out of the blue, a HUSKY came loping up the steps and jaunted into the house like he owned the place. He went into the kitchen, looked around, then returned to the living room. His human came immediately bounding up the steps to grab him with muttered apologies. But really... what are the chances of a random Husky wandering into your living room?
St. Francis tames the wolf

On the night of St. Therese's feast day, after the Mass and procession at my parish (St. Therese in Midvale), I came out to my car to find a dead battery. 

There have been little nudges over the last 2 years that whisper Francis and Clare, but the louder voice seems to have been dear St. Therese. So who knows. I'm not going anywhere else at the moment; God has given me a real ministry in bereavement and cemetery management.

More on that soon - I promise! In the meantime, please join me in praying for vocations to all charisms, all forms of consecrated life, to marriage, and to single life -- all the variety of lifewalks that God has created to bear fruit.

No comments: