Saturday, December 26, 2015

Letting go, Gratitude, and Joy

This Christmas and New Year's Eve, I am spending time with family and old friends in Massachusetts. I'm always happy to return to the place where I grew up, enjoy the holidays with loved ones, and worship in the very church where I received my First Holy Communion. 

Fr. Jim's homily at Christmas yesterday was short on time but long on meaning. The closing of his homily was an encouragement to hang on to Jesus as an anchor. I love this analogy, as so often it does feel like we are tossed around by big waves, storms, wind, and the uncertainties of where we are going.

 From the Catholic News Agency, quoting Pope Francis in his Christmas homily:
...the Pope asked that we open our hearts to receive the grace offered on Christmas Day, “which is Christ himself.”
Jesus, he said, “is the radiant day which has dawned on the horizon of humanity. A day of mercy, in which God our Father has revealed his great tenderness to the entire world. A day of light, which dispels the darkness of fear and anxiety.” 
It is also a day of peace, “which makes for encounter, dialogue and reconciliation..." 
(my emphasis)
So during my time here, a particular set of circumstances arose that, while somewhat disruptive, have helped drive home a lesson I sorely needed and which incorporates both homily messages.

It's quite simple:  in order to receive what is good in life, we first have to let go of what we cling to.

put another way:

In order to receive Christ, we have to stop feeding our egos. (see John 3:30)

I'm sure we could each make our own list of things we can to let go. 

Let go of 
outmoded ideas of who we think we are
our unreasonable and uncompassionate expectations of others
our unreasonable and uncompassionate expectations of ourselves
what we think we deserve in life
how we expect to be treated by others
what "perfect" means
control of situations, people, etc.

It means in my case that I stop expecting others' approval or affirmation, stop expecting others to fill in the holes in my heart, and start taking responsibility for my own happiness. It means honoring boundaries of my own and other people's boundaries, as well. 

Most of all, it means letting go of the clinging ego that doesn't let grace in. Being angry because I'm not getting what I want or think I deserve does not let grace in

As long as I don't let go of what I think is important, but which is actually harmful, I will not be able hang on to Jesus as my anchor.

Part of receiving is by necessity being grateful. Grateful for what IS, not feeling bad about what isn't or what I think should be. Grateful for who people are, woundedness and all (because we are all wounded in some way). It doesn't mean I have to live in a situation that is profoundly uncomfortable, but it does mean that I can let it go with grace and gratitude for the good things.

It requires me to love people (and myself) with compassion for where we all are, and to receive what God is giving me through them, what they are eager to share with me. I believe this is how we can experience Joy. 

Perhaps as we head into the new year, we can each make an effort to identify what is keeping us from receiving the beauty in life: the generosity of others, the moments of contentment, the gifts we may overlook, the peace of Christ as we receive Him more deeply into our hearts. We can ask for the grace to let go and receive grace.

I'm a work in progress, as we all are, humbled by my own frailties, striving in the hope of Christ to let go and receive what God in his abundant love is giving in every moment. Thank you for reading, and for your support in 2015. God bless!

No comments: