Friday, September 2, 2022

Makin' a movie!

Readers, I am so thrilled to share this! Last weekend I was honored to work as a script supervisor for a truly remarkable short film called "Babbo," shot on location in the Southern Tier of NY.  

Written and directed by veteran actor Jeff Austin, the story takes places in the 1970s and involves an old Italian "babbo" ("dad") who was once a champion bowler but who now needs a cane to get around. He bowls at the local alley, but he can't hit them like he used to. His loving son tries to cheer him up with some bowling alley shenanigans, but it only makes things worse. He grumps at his wife (in Italian) and buys a sports car to feel better about himself, but the real medicine comes when he thwarts the theft of his son's TV using...wait for it...his bowling ball. Resolution, reconciliation, and restoration follow.

This was Jeff's passion project, seven years in the making, and was produced by his long-time friend Linda Miller. A sweet script, funny and endearing, with amazing performances and professional production, I have high hopes for this little film to do well on the festival circuit next year. I can't say enough about the cast and crew that were 99% local talent. So much professionalism and creativity! We bonded as a little family, and by the time we wrapped on Day 4, it was hard to say good-bye and realize we wouldn't be gathering together around the craft table the next morning at 7 a.m.

As for me, this experience has reinvigorated my film and writing dreams that have languished for quite some time. I learned so much, and remembered so much that I'd forgotten! Throughout this year I've made a few small attempts at this or that, but recently I've been writing with a partner on Monday nights. My partner was also an extra on this short, so we have even more inspiration to work together and encourage one another. My job isn't over yet, though. I still have to type up all 38 pages of shooting log notes and email them to Jeff to help him edit. I. Love. This.

Babbo Facebook Page

Babbo Wraps

Original story that ran on WETM (how I got connected to this project - I emailed the producer)

Jeff Austin and me after picture wrap.

My "extra" friend and writing partner.

Days 1 - 3 on location in a trailer park.

Day 4 at Crystal Lanes in Corning, NY

A very complicated shot, a.k.a. "bowling alley shenanigans."

No comments: