Sunday, September 18, 2022

On the Last Good Day of the Year

Hopefully not the last, but pretty darn close, I'd imagine. This last weekend of summer has been very summery. Yesterday after T'ai Chi class (I got to teach, again!), I decided to go kayaking. But I wanted to take out a hard shell kayak rather than my inflatable because I figured water levels would be lower this time of year, and I didn't want to run afoul of my skeg (fin on the underside of the boat to help it track straight).

I rented a big ole orange kayak from Bay Creek Paddling Center and headed first down Irondequoit Creek. The water was very calm, and yes, it was low, as the lady warned me when I registered my rental. I got to see schools of little fish, a turtle diving, and several common song birds. I did have to do some maneuvering to escape the people who chatter and talk while kayaking (as in, kay- YAK- ing); otherwise, a very peaceful little turn around the creek. I then headed out to the southern end of Irondequoit Bay that empties into the creek. It was here that the shallow waters were shallow, indeed.

On the Creek

On the Bay

There be swans!

I barely made it out past the area that held only a few silty inches of water, but it seemed fine. I was blessed to see a flock of swans floating around preening, as well as the usual shore bird spectacle. But soon it was time to turn and head back in, for Bay Creek was closing at 5:00. It was now 4:25.

As I turned and headed back down the channel marked by those enormous PVC pipes, I soon found myself stuck in water that was too shallow for me to pass. I dug my paddle in and pushed myself out, then tried again at a different spot. Same deal. I tried several areas of the channel and could not get through. People, I was absolutely panicking at this point. "What if I can't find that tiny channel that let me through in the first place? What if the place closes?" One guy was paddling toward me, and I warned him about the shallows. He stayed around and tried to help me find that slit of a path that would get me through. I freaked out. I called the Paddle Center and they said they'd send someone to rescue me (ha!). But just then, as Providence would have it, I found that little slip of a path and made it through to the other side of the shallows. I canceled my call for help and paddled like crazy to get in by 5:00. Boy, was I embarrassed. The guy who was my guardian angel paddled ahead of me; I said thank you, but then he was off. Imagine if I'd tried my inflatable!

I spent two hours in total out in the water, enjoying the brilliant day God gave us, and I learned a lesson on not freaking out when things seem to go sidewise. Hang in there, keep working at it. The path is there; trust in God's Providence and don't give in to fear!

Later in the evening, I built a fire in my little chiminea and enjoyed the warm evening with a friend. We ate garlic pizza and toasted "to summer." A fine ending to a fine day, even if there were a few blazing moments of utter terror!


My end of summer anthem:

No comments: